What is the difference between preaching and teaching?
I have had a lot of discussion in church about whether a particular person was preaching or “just teaching.” What is the difference?
For some of the more “spiritual” churches, the concept appears to be that you are not preaching until you get into “high gear.” (Compare to a car with a manual transmission and the process of shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gears.) That concept places teaching into a lesser category.
- So, here are some discussion starters for you.
- How do you define “preaching”?
- How to you define “teaching”?
- What is the difference?
- Who does God direct to “preach”?
- Who does God direct to “teach”?
- Is the CONTENT of preaching different from teaching?
- Is the STYLE different between the two?
- Are teachers called like preachers?
- Was Jesus a teacher or a preacher?
Here is a video of a 1-year-old. Is he preaching? Teaching? What?
I published a similar article some time back: https://chiefshepherd.com/2008/01/what-is-preaching/
Let us hear from you in the comments section below.
Note the NUMBER of the item you are responding to (or add your own issue related to this topic.)