We are conducting a seminar at our church (on Thursday evenings between 6:30 & 7:45) on the topic of “End Time Prophecy.” One of the first things that comes to my mind when I approach this subject is the question, “Why bother studying something that will happen after I have already gone in the rapture/resurrerction?”
There are some significant issues related to this question – both positive and negative. Here are some such issues that will illustrate the point:
Reasons that may lead one NOT to study prophecy:
- Idle curiosity (2Pe 1:20,21 & Is 55:5-11)
- Test of fellowship (dogmatism)
- Spiritual “pride” (Acts 17:21)
- Uncertain symbols (may misunderstand and become more confused, 1Co 14:33)
Reasons why we SHOULD study prophecy:
- Fact of presence in the Bible (31,000 verses are prophetic in nature)
- Assurance (previous fulfillment authenticates those still unfulfilled – Gen 3:15; 12:1-3; 18:21; 19:24; Is 7:14;Lu 1:30-33; Jn 1:29; Heb 11:8,12)
- Understand God’s plan (Is 8:20)
- Incentive to labor (2Pe 3:9-11; 1Jn 1:1-3
- Blessing promised (Rev 1:3)
I will be posting some notes from these studies. Look for them in the “Prophecy” category of this site.
What do YOU think about studying prophecy? Do you teach prophecy? Do you invite “prophecy teachers”? Why, or why not?